Friday, February 25, 2011

It Could Be Malaria...

I'm sick, again. Everyone around me has someone at home who has recently had bronchitis and or strep throat. I don't know that I necessarily have anything more serious than the crud, but I'm a baby and a hypochondriac. So in my own mind I have the worst case of whatever this is since humans discovered we could suffer from whatever this is. It may be Malaria, you never know. cough cough.

I spent most of this week at Stash seeking project advice, loitering, spreading germs, and I even managed to squeeze in a bit of work. I spend a lot of time there anyway, but this week I was especially unmotivated in my own work it just seemed like the shop was the best place to be. After all, if I'm not going to do my own work the best thing would be to interrupt other people's work right? Crystal talked me through my first intarsia knitting project while I was loitering and underfoot. It's a wonderful argyle cardigan from the new Stitch 'n Bitch book and I only had to rip it out 5 or 6 times (so far). I've finished the back and the left front side and will resume working on the right front side in the event that I don't perish from the evil awful plague from which I currently suffer. cough cough.

As usual I claim that I was unmotivated and unproductive in the studio this week, but that isn't really the case. Last weekend Jeremy's parents were gracious enough to assist us with some projects I wanted to do for this year's market displays. We bought some pretty molding at the hardware store, re-purposed an old mirror and now I have a custom mirror and some sweet frames to hang the earrings from. Next weekend we're going to do some faux painting treatments on a piece of pegboard and dress up my tablecloths with a custom border. My sister Christina gave me a really neat table top display for Christmas and that piece is what spurred on the need to revamp the tent. I'm really excited about the changes we're making and I'm really looking forward to finishing all of these little projects so I can start working on the layout. We usually set up the tables in the living room a few times before a show just to get an idea of how I'm going to set things up the day of, but this time we'll have some things that hang from the tent frame and our shiny sign from Airship Printing  so I think I'll have to work in the garage. Unless I die from Malaria. cough cough.

The displays aren't the only new addition to the studio though. You may have noticed that we recently started a fund raising campaign to help us upgrade our point of sale system. We've been using a duplicate sales book for years, and while it does the job it is cumbersome, slow, and inconvenient to our customers. Our campaign wasn't really progressing the way I'd hoped and we were starting to think that we just weren't going to reach this goal when we had a lovely surprise. We had a private donation very generously provided Siouxsiequeue's with the new POS system. This market season we'll be able to process credit card transactions and provide email or text receipts for our customers. The new process is quick and less wasteful than paper sales books. So thank you, You Know Who, this is one project that wouldn't have happened without you and Jeremy and I are especially grateful.

So as usual it was an eventful week, Malaria, loitering, new equipment, new displays, and a sincere appreciation for the way people can surprise us. I hope your week was just as interesting and full of surprises.

Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment