Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Brand New Blog


Where to start...

...It seemed like a good idea to start a blog about our shop, my family, and the general nonsense that goes on around here; so I did!
Last summer, with the encouragement of my family (Jeremy & Eric), I gave up the 9-to-5 to embark on a new adventure: a home based crafting business. Yes, that's right, in an absurd economy I walked away from a perfectly good paying job to make jewelry and accessories in my basement. No, I am not actually insane.

I'd just reached a point in my life where I realized that I couldn't actually stand to work with or for anyone else, and I didn't really like anything I was doing anyway, so, it did actually seem like a good idea at the time.

I'd been making chainmaille jewelry, mostly for my friends and family, for several years before I made this enormous decision, and I'd had periods of success with it, so away I went, making chainmaille...as my job...in 2009.

Okay, so writing it all down does make me sound a little insane, but believe it or not, I do a fair bit of business. I've got a little Etsy shop, there is a local shop that carries my merchandise, and about 7 months later it turns out to be a viable business. Who knew?

Being my own boss does have a few minor setbacks, for example I tend to be a workaholic and I haven't seen most of my friends since this has become a serious venture, but the upside is that I get to wear my jeans to work everyday and I never have to explain my t-shirts to anyone.

By the way, I'm not actually an anti-social hermit, even though I've started painting that picture for you. I was just frustrated with the politics and red tape that go hand in hand with corporate life, and the truth is, I was tired of working as hard as I was with no tangible output at the end of the day. There wasn't ever anything to hold up and say "Look what I did today."

So, look at what I did today, and thanks for joining me. I'm looking forward to talking about what's going on around here, sharing my projects, and hearing back from you!





No comments:

Post a Comment